Saturday, January 14, 2023

The Black Guy Dies First What?! A (humorous) history of Black People in Horror Films

 The Black Guy Dies First was so different than I thought it would be. In a good way! I have nothing against textbooks, but that's what I thought this would be. If all textbooks could be this funny, no professor would ever have a hard time getting his/her students to read assignments. You see, The Black Guy Dies First could be used in a Film Studies class, or in a Black Studies class, but it's so humorous that it's a hoot to read for pleasure. I snort-laughed three or four times per page.

Funny as it is, it also covers a lot of ground in the history of Black actors, directors, and films in the horror genre. The authors put in enough detail that it's okay to not have seen all of the films. I hadn't seen most of the films and I still got a lot out of it.

If you like history with a whole lot of humor, this is a snort-laugh + thought provoking book. Thanks to Netgalley and Saga Press for allowing me to read, review, and get a few laughs out of The Black Guy Dies First.



No comments:

Post a Comment