Saturday, January 28, 2023

I Never Thought I'd Get Tired Reading About Sex, Then Along Came "A Tyranny of Desire."

 OK. So. Um...The thing is...Uh. This book is kind of like...Pay attention to the trigger warning because every word of it is true.

I'll start with the positive. The Tyranny of Desire is often very funny. Sometimes it is a little overdone. There were passages that made me wish I hadn't eaten dinner before I read them. The scene where a quicky lover poops on Puchy was the first one that made me wish I hadn't eaten a bowl of Cheerios before reading. (Yes, I eat Cheerios for dinner. Don't look at me like that.) Then she puts her poop in an insulted thermos. At that point I had to get some fresh air. I meant insulated thermos, but the thermos was probably insulted, too.

I never thought I'd say this, but there was so much sex on almost every page that I got tired of it, like eating way too much chocolate cake. (Or Cheerios. No wait. No one can eat too many Cheerios.) I also wondered how Puchy ever found a pair of pants that fit. I mean really, he'd have to have a codpiece the size of a parachute. 

So , ok, there are disturbing things in The Tyranny of Desire. Some nonconsensual sex. Underage sex. (I mean, way under age.)

The idea of personifying something that is only figural, like personifying Death, goes way back in literature. The idea of Puchy personifying Desire is classic. Despite being based on a classic idea, it's unlikely The Tyranny of Desire will be taught to English majors anytime soon.  Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm an old fogie and this will go down with the likes of Shakespeare. But probably not.

Thanks to Netgalley and Flying Bed books for allowing me to lose my dinner over The Tyranny of Desire. (Really, don't eat while reading this.)

His penis is huge, but I do not think he could tie it in knots.


No comments:

Post a Comment