Saturday, March 20, 2021

This book will keep you awake. The Last House on Needless Street.

 


You know how some horror doesn't really scare you because you know you're unlikely to encounter  a vampire, werewolf or zombie? This isn't that type of horror. It's something that could happen to you or someone you know. It's doubly scary and it's also literary, glorious words taking on a deep subject. I wanted to immediately call a security company and have my whole house wired up. Like I can afford that.

In the first chapter, Ted is speaking quite simply. I thought, "Oh, this will be tedious." But don't let that first chapter fool you. He, and the other characters, are multi-dimensional  and in more ways than you can imagine. 

Other readers kept mentioning a surprising twist, so I thought I'd be prepared. But no, it still caught me off guard. This is the kind of book you keep reading and reading because you're eager to find out what happens. Throughout the book there are three or four people you want to rip out of the story and stomp on. Beware, they are not necessarily the one you are looking for.

The child abuse is extremely difficult to read. If you feel you may be triggered, you probably want to stay away.

Since I can't afford security, I'll do like one of the characters and start sleeping with a claw hammer beside the bed. (My cat disapproves of this idea and says she'll protect me...by hiding under the covers with me)


No comments:

Post a Comment