Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Ghost Dogs! A Review of Elatsoe.

 


Elatsoe has a little bit of everything. Good animal ghosts. A mean human ghost. Vampires. Monsters. Generations of women who can summon ghosts (but you do not want to summon human ghosts because they are mean.) Understanding parents--a rarity in YA literature. An evil doctor. It's got everything!

Elatsoe is a charming book, even if it's concerned with a lot of supernatural things. Loving family. Loving friends. A loving dog ghost and a loving vampire. Even a ghost trilobite but I don't know if it was loving or not. It's hard to tell what a trilobite is thinking.

I teared up at the end. I won't tell you why because that would be a spoiler, but my dog died two years ago and I still miss him every day and I wish I could conjure up his ghost just like Ellie does with her beloved dog. Everybody is biased toward their own dogs, but mine actually was the best dog in the world and this was confirmed by my mail carrier.

Interesting Apache lore and a unique story.


No comments:

Post a Comment