Thursday, March 11, 2021

Review: The Only Good Indians

 


This is one damn scary novel with the added attraction of being one finely written story. I'm not easily frightened by fiction. I read horror for the adventure but I don't believe a zombie or vampire is really after me. But this elk tracking people across the snow, across the northern plains, across the years...well, the suspense was breathtaking.

The writing also took my breath away. The descriptions made me feel the cold, the scraped hands, the sweat lodge, the houses and campers and cowboy bars. Just a great read all around.

I have to say that the punishment didn't fit the crime. A lot of innocent people and dogs lost. Isn't that the nature of horror, though, that none of us deserve this? 

I've read threads where people are distressed at the dogs' deaths. Just keep telling yourself It's fiction, it's fiction, it's fiction. There is a lot of death and gore in The Only Good Indian so bear that in mind before you pick it up. I'm super squeamish but I did okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment