Monday, March 1, 2021

Review: A History of the Vampire in Popular Culture

 



I found some very interesting types of vampires here. Did you know there is one kind who sucks blood through her hair? No, the author of A History of the Vampire in Popular Culture couldn't explain how that works, either.

I wish the beginning of the book was more serious. The opening seemed too light-hearted and I thought the book would be frivolous. Soon, Ms. Fenn got down to serious business, but if I'd been a casual browser in a store I would have read the first couple of pages and thought to myself that it wasn't serious research.

Some of it did wander into territory that wasn't vampire-ish. There's a couple of murders that didn't seem to have anything to do with vampires. But, some of it was delightfully bizarre, such as the hordes of British children in the 1950s patrolling a cemetery at night, looking to kill a vampire. Parents blamed American comic books and tried to have them banned. Why hundreds of little children brandishing stakes and mallets hasn't been turned into a movie, I don't know. 

Yes, there is some really good stuff and some blah information, too. I'd probably buy it as a reference book since I write horror and I'm always looking for some new creature--like blood sucking hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment