Saturday, April 2, 2022

Spine tinglers from Stinetinglers. A review of R.L. Stine's new collection of short stories.




 I never read R.L. Stine, so Stinetinglers is a first for me. And guess what? I super enjoyed it. Some of it was scarier than adult horror I've read. It's not terrifying because of gore or monsters, but the stories are scary because they're exaggerations of things that really frighten kids. Like being trapped in an old mansion and no rescue is coming. Or being lost. in this case lost in a weird time between night and day. Mean brothers. Mean cousins. And ghosts.


The story I related to the most was about a babysitter whose charges wanted to play "Bite, Bite." Not that any of the kids ever bit me, but that hopeless feeling an adolescent gets when she has absolutely no idea how to handle the "little monsters."


With Stine's good humor, these stories won't be too frightening for 8 to 12 years olds .It's frightening to me because it brings back memories of babysitting. Ugh. (I shivered just thinking about it.) Lots of fun and some spine tingling Stinetinglers.


Thanks to Netgalley for allowing me to read and review an eARC of Stinetinglers.

No comments:

Post a Comment