Thursday, April 28, 2022

Monsters Unleashed! Trapped, right now, inside of a book. Open at your own discretion! These things could get out!

A book with a little something for everyone. Kim Newman wrote a great introduction to classic monsters. Several stories where the classic monster was recast as female, such as the one where a body made from parts of others had the brain of a lovesick woman. I'm a sucker for funny horror so a story about an ancient great aunty living (sort of living, that is) in a family's basement was a hoot. It sounds like something that would happen to me if mummies scooted around cellars and ate legs of lamb. (My dad is in the cabinet above the washing machine, but that's another story.) And there were hybrid animal/people thingies that ate fascists. That's always a nice touch. If we could only end all wars with hybrid animal/people thingies. 


Every once in a while, there was a story that made me think, "And then what happens?" In one, I figured Mrs. Dracula would wake up the next day, wonder where all these skinny kids came from, and wander away again. She seems to have wandered away on more than one occasion. So, what happens when she forgets her kids again? I'd like to see her steal Mr. Dracula's credit card, go online, and buy a nice gown from Vampire's Wife.


Anyway, some fun stuff that you'll remember from your grandparent's childhoods. Watch the old movies, then let these modern versions scare you a second time. I have to go now because my dad needs something to eat, but thanks to Netgalley and Monstrous Books for allowing me to read and critique "Classic Monsters Unleashed."


For the love of God, don't let these classic monsters out!


No comments:

Post a Comment