Friday, November 18, 2022

Hurrah for the Final Girl! Get Bloody With Don't Fear the Reaper.

 Thanks to Stephen Graham Jones I have the song, Don't Fear the Reaper, stuck in my head. And a desire for more cowbell.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. People die in all sorts of weird postures and from all kinds of pointy instruments. What's the point of all this? The killer is copying every single slasher movie that's been made and doing it in blinding snow. You have to admire a killer who doesn't get cold feet. 

But who is this stabbing and slicing killer? Only a young woman with encyclopedic knowledge of slasher films can figure out the answer. In addition to a slasher, there are underwater ghosts, a blob, and an elk with a really bad attitude. It's also a story of friendship, families, redemption, and lots of broken glass.

Readers might want to read or reread My Heart is a Chainsaw. I hadn't read it in a while, so I was occasionally wondering who or what something was.

Don't Fear the Reaper combines gore with a literary style, making it more than the average horror story. Take a stab at reading it.

Thank you to Saga Press and Netgalley for allowing me to read and review Don't Fear the Reaper even if I can't get that song out of my mind.

For a while I didn't realize that was a hook. I thought an electrical cord was threaded through the wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment