Friday, September 2, 2022

Heartbreaking and Some of the Most Imaginative Writing. Review of Liberation Day

 I've mentioned before that some of the most gruesome monsters in horror are not the supernatural or unnatural but the manipulative humans behind them. Liberation Day by George Saunders will be sold as a literary collection, but believe me, it is pure horror. The characters are trapped in paralyzing, cruel, terrifying situations and very few of the protagonists escape.

This is not a happy collection, but it made me think about my own life. Do I feel trapped and how do I get out? Are people really so cruel to others? (In many ways, yes) Sometimes its society doing the trapping. Some of the characters are kept as amusements for the wealthy. One is trapped by her own snobbishness. But others are confined by fantastical, horrifying places with no way out.

George Saunders' mind is a very interesting place.

This is not horror with bloodsucking monsters, but Liberation Day is truly horrifying.

Thanks to Netgalley and Random House for allowing me to read and review an eARC of Liberation Day.




No comments:

Post a Comment