Saturday, July 23, 2022

Do Not Go Near That Well While Carrying Cutlets! Review of The Witch in The Well

If you ever have the urge to throw frozen meatballs into a well, run, run away fast!


There could be a carnivorous horse/demon/thingy down there. And its next meal could be YOU! 


Hopefully you won't end up as a horse/demon/thingy's blue plate special, but if you love creepy places where creepy things happen and a castle for good measure (of course!,) you'll enjoy The Witch in the Well.  Every character in the book has a different take on the witch and most of them are wrong.  We have a prissy know-it-all, her woo-woo former friend, a hunka hunka burning love plumber, and lots of missing children and adults. Did I mention the plumber?


If I have one complaint, it's that every character at one point rolls their eyeballs, sometimes twice. It is too hot to get out my eyeball-roll-o-meter because it would overheat on this one. The only one who doesn't roll its eyes is the horse/demon/thingy. Its eyes are solid black so how would we know if it was rolling them?


Maybe eyeball rolling as meaningful communication is my problem.  I guess that it passes as conversation today and I've been left behind with actual words. Other than that, I truly enjoyed The Witch in the Well and if eyeball rolling showed pleasure with a book, I'd get googly eyes right this minute.


Thanks to Tor and Netgalley for allowing me to read and review an eARC of The Witch in the Well.



No comments:

Post a Comment