Saturday, February 5, 2022

I've read two books in a row that involve bunny abuse. What's the deal? Review of Our Crooked Hearts

 How come nobody ever sacrifices a tick?  They're full of blood. How about mosquito or chigger sacrifices? Bedbugs anybody? Nobody likes these creatures and they're not cute and fluffy like Bunnykins Hop Hop. You can bet when I write a witchcraft book, characters will leave their houses and find dead mosquitoes on their driveway.  That'll put the fear in them.

I may have led you astray. The other book I'll review had ill lagomorphs (you didn't know I knew big words like that) but not sacrificed fluffybutts. 

Here is the review of Our Crooked Hearts.



 I thought this was a book about a brass bunny door knocker. Instead, there were dead fuzzy bunnies scattered hither and yon. Watch where you step in this novel if you don't want bunny ick on your feet! I, myself, would rather sacrifice rabbit-shaped Easter peeps because, c'mon, live bunnies?

But this is a story about teenagers who, like many teenagers, let things get out of control. In this case, it's witchcraft, the dark scary kind. And then, just like a bad hairdo in a yearbook picture, their evil choices follow them into adulthood. Can Dana protect her own teenage daughter from the spell she thought she'd buried decades ago? Can witchcraft be for the good of humanity instead of only for personal gain as in can healing lip balm stand up against the forces of evil? Does anybody know where I can get one of those brass bunny door knockers?

I don't know why, but towards the end the story seemed to drag for me. Bringing a boy in, even a nice boy like Billy, was an intrusion into a female power book. Plus, instead of renewing their friendship, Ivy and Billy were suddenly lovers after ignoring each other for years. Though they understood there was a reason they weren't friends, the romance was rushed. Everything is hunky-dory now and Billy doesn't mind at all that his once and future girlfriend attracts bunny ick.

Aunt Fee is my favorite character because she is good and kind, has more sense than the rest of the characters combined, and makes a hell of a lip balm.  Thanks to Netgalley and Flatiron Books for allowing me to read and review Our Crooked Hearts. I'll be looking forward to a sequel called The Brass Bunny Knocker Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment