Monday, February 21, 2022

It would have been a good book except for... A Review of They Drown Our Daughters

Creepy. Suspenseful. Gothic. Stormy seas. A curse. Disappearing girls. And, a lighthouse with a red light that must never go out. How many generations of women will the strange female in the sea drown?

They Drown Our Daughters has a lot going for it. One more thing it needed was a search and delete button. I swear, nearly every character smirked. Sometimes one person smirked on one page followed by another person smirking on the next page. I have a feeling that, if we could see the creatures under the sea, they'd be smirking, too. My smirk-o-meter got so over heated while reading this book that I had to pour ice water on it to cool it down.  This seems to be a thing now, that characters respond to everything by smirking.

The next way characters respond is by rolling their eyeballs. There was so much eye rolling that I started rolling my eyeballs at every roll. There was so much eye rolling that my eyes got stuck and I had to lube them. There are lots of books out now where the characters all react the same way--please, just anything but smirking and eyeball rolling. Every time it happens, it pulls me out of the story because I'm thinking, "There it is again."

I liked the plot. It was creepy, and I'd give this a higher rating had most of the characters reacted differently than  the hordes of characters in so many books today.

Thank you to Netgalley and Poisoned Pen Press for allowing me to read and review They Drown Our Daughters.

Nice cover. She's not even smirking on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment