Wednesday, December 22, 2021

The Library of the Dead, or I wish I was as smart as this 14-year-old

 



I'm reading Our Lady of Mysterious Ailments, book 2 of Edinburgh Nights, so I thought it might be helpful to read the first book, The Library of the Dead.

I enjoyed the protagonist, Ropa, a lot. She's funny, smart, has a fox for a pet, and is weirdly well educated for a 14-year-old dropout. I wish more people were as well self-educated as Ropa. Yet, she isn't dry when talking about the audio books she listens to because she's clever and her "reading" helps her navigate the wild world she lives in.

The title is a little bit of a misnomer because most of the story takes place outside of the library. It's also more of a library for magic. Nobody dead is there except for the philosopher David Hume. He stays dead dead and doesn't get up and talk or haunt or buy anything in the snack bar.

There is some eyeball rolling and you know how I feel about eyeballs rolling all over the place. It's not bad in Library which is good because my eyeballroll-o-meter is out for repairs.

I'm enjoying Our Lady of Mysterious Ailments so everybody who liked Library has something to look forward to when it's published. (I read books before they're published because I'm psychic.)

No comments:

Post a Comment