Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Thriller, Mystery, Ghosts! Review of The Summoning





 The Summoning was different than I thought it would be, which is a good thing. The description made it look as though the protagonist, Kit, mainly targeted the relatives of people killed on 9/11. I thought it was too early (even though it's been 20 years) and too raw for a book to have a protagonist who is scamming 9/11 relatives of the dead. That was only a small part. The majority of her targets (or clients, as she thought of them) were indeed mostly moms of dead children. Kit thought she was helping them because she made them feel better even though she actually didn't contact the dead.

Until the day she started having visions of their murders or hearing their voices in the night.

Kit scans the memorial section of the New York Times looking for "clients" but most are not from 9/11. If you are triggered, there are a lot of mentions of 9/11 because Kit's husband died in the North Tower.

The are surprising twists, especially the climax. I could see the bad ending coming for the lousy detective boyfriend but never anticipated the way it came about. I never anticipated what would happen to the protagonist. Some good zigzags on the part of the author. 

I enjoyed The Summoning more than I thought I would. It's more of a mystery story than supernatural or horror, although there are ghosts.  Thanks to Netgalley and Poisoned Penned press for allowing me the read and review The Summoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment