Sunday, August 15, 2021

Sometimes the future isn't horrible. A review of A Psalm for the Wild Built

 This is one of the most charming, relaxing, and hopeful book I've read in a long time. But it's not treacly, it's modern and witty. Most of the fiction I read about the future is depressing. The worst happens and people accept it and live terrible lives. A Psalm for the Wild Built shows a future where humans finally figured things out, changed the way they lived, and stopped climate change in the nick of time. Being human, Dex the protagonist, can't figure out why he's unsatisfied when everything seems perfect.


I liked the pace of this novel. A lot of writing teachers tell us to make things worse for the protagonist, always make things worse. A Psalm for the Wild Built shows that a novel can be interesting without having to endanger the main character.

A lovely book. Thanks to my library for allowing me to read it on Overdrive. Libraries are great.



No comments:

Post a Comment