Thursday, June 17, 2021

Lots of Smelly, Gooey Stuff in House of Hollow

 


It took me a little while to get into House of Hollow, but about 50% through the story became quite adventurous and moved along at a galloping pace. You'd move fast, too, if a dead guy with a bull's skull for a head was chasing you! There's all kinds of gooey stuff in here: floaty souls bobbing around in murky water, mold, dead leaves, and ants stuck in throats, stinky flowers growing out of wounds, and one character who rolls his eyeballs a lot. If you follow my reviews you know that the massive amount of eyeball rolling in YA drives me nuts. I've climbed on curtains and chewed furniture from all the eyeball rolling.

Fortunately, my eye-ball-o-meter barely clicked past annoying on House of Hollow, and my smirk-o-meter only wiggled. So, thank you to the author for not making me crazy.

This is kind of a "life is unfair" book, but nobody reads horror thinking they'll get Little Mary Sunshine. Except me, maybe.

People rarely thank their libraries, so thank you to my local library for making House of Hollow available on Overdrive. I can check out books in my pajamas. How the books got into my pajamas, I'll never know.




No comments:

Post a Comment