Thursday, April 8, 2021

Gutless Characters. I mean really gutless because their intestines are all over the floor. A review of The Queen of Cicadas

  

There's different kinds of horror. The kind that makes you feel like something is creeping around or creeping after you but you never see or hear it. It makes you wonder about your own sanity. If the unseen thing doesn't kill you, the suspense will.

And then there's the other kind of horror. Guts being ripped out. Throats cut. Bugs flying out of and into mouths. Murders, gore, and slashy things. That's the kind of horror that is The Queen of the Cicadas by V. Castro.

I admit that I'm biased toward the quieter, suspense, am I insane or not type of horror. But, if you're into more bloody type of horror, a goddess without skin, bad guys getting their intestines removed, lots of gore in front of witnesses type of horror, this is right up your grisly alley. There's some graphic sweaty romance novel type of sex with a billionaire. It's funny that I can suspend my disbelief and believe in a goddess of death, but when the protagonist has a billionaire bicycle up to her front door and they start an affair, I'm like "that's not gonna happen in real life." Go figure. Bloody goddesses are more believable than bicycling billionaires hopping into bed.

Thanks to Netgalley and Flame Tree press for allowing me to read this advance copy of The Queen of 
Cicadas.





No comments:

Post a Comment