Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Stoker's Wilde

Okay, so I said I would do some reviews so here we go. I just finished Stoker's Wilde by Melissa Prusi and Steven Hopstaken, published by Flame Tree Press. I'm a huge fan of Oscar Wilde, and Oh my God, his The Importance of Being Ernest is so funny I snorted with laughter while reading it. I have to read alone because snorting...  Being a admirer of Wilde, I was anxious to read Stoker's Wilde. Bram Stoker and Oscar Wilde, though they hate each other, become vampire hunters because, if you read a lot of Victorian horror, you realize everybody from Abraham Lincoln to Theodore Roosevelt were vampire hunters, so why not authors too? Sometimes I think I'm the only one left who is not a vampire hunter. Of course, I'm not a Victorian either, only in my heart.

Prusi and Hopstaken wrote a book that made me keep turning the pages. Their Wilde was not quite as witty as the real Wilde, but who could top him? He was one-of-a-kind. Of course, even in real life Wilde couldn't always be witty. That would be exhausting.

The writers did include a short play written by the fictitious Wilde. It wasn't nearly as good as his real plays. They saved themselves by having him write something along the lines of "This is drivel," at the end of the play. And it was.

Even if their Oscar wasn't making my eyes water with laughter, it was a rollicking read if you're into Victorian vampire hunters. And, who isn't?

Flame Tree is coming out soon with a sequel where Bram and Oscar hunt vampires in America, called Stoker's Wilde West. Looking forward to it because, we all know, there are some real bloodsuckers out West. Yikes! I live in the West. Oh no!

No comments:

Post a Comment