Thursday, October 27, 2022

Rumble in the Jungle. A Review of Our Share of the Night

 This is a long book. I like the depth the author goes into with the characters. The descriptions of buildings, jungles, people, monster/thing/darkness are excellent. After a while, though, the novel felt like a slog to go through. Descriptions of horrific child abuse got to be too much for me.

I know this is horror, and sometimes horror is grim, but graphic, bloody, torturous child abuse just...ugh.

My other problem was that the folks doing all the torturing didn't seem to understand why they did it. They were appeasing a violent, big, dark thing without being sure it could give them what they wanted. A lot of people were lying, hurting, torturing, and being hurt themselves without a clear understanding of why. The book is commentary on the brutal Argentine military rulers, but it might have been better as a thriller instead of a horror novel.

Honestly, the story gave me nightmares. The brutal torture of small children was too horrendous to me Thank you to Netgalley and Random House for allowing me to read and review Our Share of the Night...even if it gave me nightmares.



No comments:

Post a Comment