Saturday, August 27, 2022

Every story is pretty good. That's rare for an anthology. Review of Close to Midnight

Every story in Close to Midnight is good, some are exceptional. I say this because often in anthologies some of the stories are blah, or cliched, but this book has no disappointing tales. One story made me cough out a big guffaw at the ending--I won't say which because I'm not into hurting writer's feelings--but most were spine-tinglers or sad. Sadness is its own form of horror.

They saved the best for last. I thought the final two stories were the most outstanding in the anthology. Laura Mauro's The Spaceman's Memory Box was so beautifully written that it could have just as easily fit into a 
literary anthology as into a horror anthology. It's both frightening and heartbreaking. 

The last story, Rise Up Together, by Adam L.G. Nevill, was truly horrifying. claustrophobic, and thought provoking. What is that shuffling parade of shadows in the night?

Thank you much to Flame Tree and Netgalley for allowing me to read and review an eARC of Close to Midnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment