Saturday, March 19, 2022

You won't believe the things they eat in this book. A review of Dead Leprechauns and Devil Cats by Grady Hendrix

 There is an old story that a reporter asked Mrs. Lincoln if her husband had any hobbies. She replied, "Cats." I thought that meant he had cats for pets, not that he ate them. According to Grady Hendrix's twisted alternative history, I discovered I was wrong. Not only did Honest Abe eat cats, he was chained up after biting a baby.


Mr. Hendrix manages to insult almost everyone, from orphans to the Irish, to Lincoln, so make sure to read his introduction that explains racism and sexism in the Victorian era. He's not condoning it, he's condemning it.

This is a fun moldy oldie from my stacks of mildewing to-be-read. My kindle is not, in fact, moldy but I thought that sounded good when pulling up a horror from 2012. My god, is 2012 really ten years ago?



No comments:

Post a Comment