Monday, January 31, 2022

How Do You Like Your Eggs Served? A Review of Just Like Mother

 I have to add a few things I didn't put in my Goodreads or Netgalley reviews. I like Just Like Mother. I really do. Though my fingers were itching to type, I refrained from commenting on the eyeball rolling, lip chewing, and now a new one--eyebrow waggling. I think half the characters waggled their eyebrows. You know what's going to happen? One day and eyeball will get tangled up in an eyebrow and then what?

Here's what triggers me. Characters doing the same damn thing all the time across all genres. I just had my eyeball-roll-o-meter lubed and waxed and then what? Another book with spinning eyeballs. Now, the eyebrows are in on the action. Where will it end?

Here's the review:



So, yeah, the doll on the cover of Just Like Mother is creepy, but want to know what's really creepy? Those baby dolls that look exactly like real babies. This book is crawling with them. Poor Maeve had a crummy childhood because of a cult and a blah young adulthood because of her fear of getting close to anyone. Just when things start looking up, everyone around her dies or disappears and Maeve can't find a toilet that works. That's the way it goes. Silicon babies piling up, a stink coming from hidden hallways, and the damn toilets won't flush.

The only things that stand in the way of world domination by a cult are Maeve's eggs, and I don't mean over easy. Never has a woman's ovaries been so in demand.

There are men happily serving little meatballs on toothpicks instead of gorging on them themselves, so you can shelve this book as unrealistic. Plenty of blood if you like that stuff (I think the meatballs are legit) but there is child abuse so be warned if you are triggered.

Good twists, some I saw coming, but the end was super unexpected.

Thanks to Netgalley, Tor and Nightfire for allowing me to read and review an eARC of Just Like Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment